How To Measure Forklift Fork?
Measuring the forklift fork is necessary when you want to make a replacement. This will ensure that you get the right size. It can be a challenging task especially to those making fork purchases for the first time. There are a number of companies that sell forklift forks and you can find them online. Once you have your measurements, it will be easier to place your order. If you are not sure how to go about the process, consider the following tips.
First, you need to measure the size of the carriage. To do this, measure from the top to the bottom of the carriage.
The Dimensions, From Top To Bottom, Are Usually Classified Into
- Class 2: 16 inches
- Class 3: 20 inches
- Class 4: 25 inches
After Measuring The Size From Top To Bottom, Next You Have To Measure The Following Dimensions.
- Measure from the front of the fork to the tip to determine the length
- Measure from side to side to determine the width
- Measure the thickness of the forklift’s back side. Do not measure the thickness on the bottom of the fork. This is because the bottom is worn out and thus can give the wrong dimensions.
- Determine the capacity that you are going to install the forks on. The capacity is usually indicated on the data tag. Then data tag can be found on the dashboard forklifts. The capacity is unique for each type of fork. This capacity should be used as the maximum lifting capacity.
If you can’t find the type that you want online, you can always contact the manufacturer. Some of the forklift forks are usually custom made. This is especially those that have a pin style carriage.
Once You Have Your New Forks, You Can Maintain Them In Good Condition By Doing The Following:
- Protecting the heel: Do not apply heat to the heel or drag it as this makes the forks more vulnerable to dropping loads.
- Use the forks for lifting only: Some operators use the forks for pushing things or forcing them to open. Using forks for purposes that they are not intended for causes them serious damage.
- Always watch the forklift’s maximum capacity: Each forklift has a capacity rating and exceeding that will increase the rate of wear and tear.
- When bringing down loads, don’t let the forks hit the ground. This will cause them to have cracks and thus stop functioning properly.
- Don’t lift with one fork: The forks are designed to be used together. Using one will result in bending or cracking.
With proper care, the forks will last for long thus saving on replacement costs.
Modern Forklift is your go-to place for your forklifts Toronto needs. To lease, rent, buy or repair contact us via (416) 745-3726.